Tuesday, July 11, 2023

A Chill Day

 

The day started with breakfast at Triton’s. Yesterday, we went to the Cabannas, a large buffet style eatery, for breakfast. However, Triton’s also offers table service for breakfast, so we decided to try it out this morning. I got yogurt and French toast (my favorite) which was delicious.

Following breakfast, we went to (you guessed it) trivia! This particular trivia was quotes from various Disney heroes. Our host, Lewis was pretty funny and was very thrilled to see whales off the side of the ship, even running over to the window a couple times to view them in action. I looked a couple times, but never saw any whales. I think Mom may have seen one. I was too focused on trivia to care about seeing whales. I’m pleased to say with the help of my brother and mother, we won Disney Heroes Trivia! We each got a medal featuring Pluto and it felt wonderful to win after five other attempted trivia games.


After basking in Disney trivia glory, we travel to the top deck to see the Disney Wonder sail through the Tracy Arm Fjord to the Sawyer Glacier. The view was stunning as the massive ship (about 170 feet tall) was made miniature by the towering mountains around it. Next, Mom and I attended Cogsworth Countdown, a Disney version of Minute to Win It. I joined team Belle as we played four different relays against team Gaston. The first was cup stacking which our team won, though I'll admit I was a little anxious being the last one on the team to stack. The second game was flying on a magic carpet or more accurately a magic hand towel. Each player had to scoot their feet back and forth on the towel around some cones as quickly as they could. I was not very quick. I thought doing bigger scoots with both my feet would be faster. It was not. Suffice to say, team Gaston won that round. The third game involved two members from each team trying to bounce seven ping pong balls into a cup held by the other player. Team Gaston had the fasted time with an in sync mother and daughter duo. The final challenge was the magic carpet ride, but this time we had to balance a ping pong ball on a spoon as we slid around the cones. Team Belle narrowly won that game, so everyone got the prize of a spectacular Disney fidget spinner. 

By then, the ship had arrived at the Sawyer Glacier, so we went up to view the massive ice mass. It was pretty cool. After taking some pictures, I went down to the atrium to watch Oaken's Maypole Swirl and Twirl. Based on the real May Day holiday, children got to twirl a long ribbon around the maypole and later learned how to create the criss-cross pattern to complete the decoration. Featuring Oaken's cousins, this Frozen themed celebration was quite merry and the enthusiasm (and banter) from Oaken's cousins really made it a treat. After that, I went up one deck to take a picture with Donald Duck. For those of you who aren't aware, one of my favorite things to do in the Disney parks is to meet the multitude of characters roaming around. At my last count, I've gotten my picture with 111 different characters at DisneyLand. So I knew I had to meet some while on the cruise. After waiting in line for a few minutes, it was my turn to meet the Duck himself and snap a photo together. 



Tonight's live show was The Chipper Experience, a comedy magic show. Chip was pretty witty as he performed different magic tricks. For a couple of his tricks, he picked volunteers from the audience to help.While he did come over and talked to me, I didn't get chosen for any of the acts. Oh well. A lot of his magic focused on making it seem like he messed up or did the trick incorrectly, but then he would turn it around at the last second. My favorite trick he performed was at the end when balanced a bunch of boxes on his chin and then turned around to reveal the seven of spades an audience member had picked about ten minutes earlier (a moment he "forgot" to finish as the show was coming to an end).


 Once the magic show was over, I went up to the top deck to watch Frozen: Freezing the Night Away, a dance party featuring characters from the film. It was a nice little show with Elsa even making in snow at the end. Dinner was at Animator's Palate again, but this time the restaurant had been re-themed to Frozen. The canvases from the night before were now windows into Arendelle. It was good dinner, but personally, I liked the theming last night better. 




After eating, I went to meet my favorite Disney character: Goofy. He was joyous and of course, a little goofy, but that's why he's my favorite. As it was getting later, the last thing I did for the night was watch a bit of Frozen Phrase which is essentially the Frozen version of Heads Up. I watched for a few minutes and then went to do some movie tunes trivia. I knew a few of them, but most of them were films before my time. Since we have an early start at our first port tomorrow, I decided to turn in for the night.

If you'd like to read the day's events from my mom's perspective, you can read her blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment