Thursday, July 2, 2015

Las Vegas I Hatus



We arrived in Boulder City, near Las Vegas at midnight after a six hour drive from home. The ride was long, but educational as I introduced Mom to the songs of Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, and the soundtrack to Avatar: The Last Airbender. We stopped to get a bite to eat and continued the drive through the middle of nowhere as Taylor taught us how to Shake It Off. We checked into the hotel and are ready to crash for the night (in fact, Mom’s already receiving her REM as I type). The hotel is satisfactory by my standards and is really only a place to sleep before we leave for Salt Lake City tomorrow. I’m just pleased we’re not staying in Las Vegas.


A satisfactory hotel and nothing more

For those who aren’t aware, I have a particular disdain for Sin City. Maybe it’s the sound of slot machines going off endlessly or the constant smell of smoke for all the cigars. Maybe it’s all the people gulping down margaritas or the infinite number of neon signs on the strip. To sum up, it’s really the atmosphere of Las Vegas I can’t stand. If you like the city, I’m fine with that, I’d rather just drive past it. Now Cheyenne, Wyoming, I really, really, really, really, really, really like you.

Tomorrow, we leave Boulder City for Salt Lake City to see what the town has to offer and pick up Joe at the airport as he’ll join us on our adventure.

You can read my mom's account of the road trip at: andallthatjusttosay.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment