Friday, July 10, 2015

I Can Drive the I-5



After such a late night on the road, we slept in a bit so we’d be awake for the drive to Sacramento. The car was packed up and we were checked out of our hotel by noon. We drove to Voodoo Doughnuts in Eugene which was featured in the Travel Channel show, Man v. Food (though it was their Portland location that was featured). The shop has a wide variety of doughnuts, everything from a classic glaze to a peanut butter Oreo. Their most famous is the voodoo doll donut, a raspberry jelly-filled doughnut in the shape of a man with a pretzel stick in his heart. We ordered the voodoo doll doughnut, along with some of their other creative selections. We tried a few of the ones we purchased and they were all delicious. We returned to the I-5 South around 1 pm to continue our drive to Sacramento. 

Doughnuts!

Which one? Which one?

He'll just take one of everything
When we’d put some road behind us, I took the wheel and drove for a couple hours. I drove into California and was met by some mountainous roads. The engine in Mom’s Honda Fit roared as we climbed up and down the hills. I drove an average of 55-60 mph for the span of the mountainous highway as about forty cars passed me in the left lane since the speed limit was 65 mph. Mom is often a bit nervous when any of me or my brothers drive her car on road trips. To my surprise, however, Joe seemed more uneasy I made turns at 50 mph. He kept commenting on speed and reminded to slow down on the turns. Perhaps Mom was too exhausted from the night before to be anxious. I don’t why either of them are worried. I’m the only one in the group who hasn't received a ticket or been in a fender bender so far. I drive an eighteen feet food truck for my job at college, I think I can handle a small Honda Fit. Anyways, we made it out of the mountain region and I sped up to the 70 mph speed limit. After we passed Redding, Mom started driving again and we arrived at our hotel in Sacramento around 9:30 pm. Tomorrow, we’ll drive to San Francisco to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum (the most highly anticipated stop on the road trip for me) and then head down to my Uncle Marc and Aunt Jackie’s home in Newbury Park to spend Sunday with them.

For another perspective of today’s events, check out my Mom’s blog here or my brother Joe’s blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment