Monday, July 4, 2016

6th Road Trip, 60th Anniversary, & 4/5 Seatbelts



Today we began our sixth road by driving to the airport to fly to Hawaii for ten days. My dad’s side of the family is flying to Maui for a week to celebrate my grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary, but my mom and brothers decided to arrive in Hawaii a few days early to explore the island of Oahu. Mom has planned a full schedule of places to visit and things to do for our three days in Oahu, so it should be fun few days. Afterwards, we’ll fly over to Maui to spend the rest of the trip with family.

We left San Diego on a six hour, direct flight to Oahu around 10:00 am. The flight was long and the view from my window seat was mostly covered by clouds, but I enjoyed the flight all the same (I love going on flights). After watching a movie, playing Farkle with my brother Zach, and three ginger ales, our plane landed in Hawaii. We picked up our luggage and walked over to the rental car center. We picked up our rental car, packed our suitcases in the back, and began driving out of the airport. As we were driving out of the parking structure, Zach discovered his seat (the back left passenger seat) had no seatbelt buckle. After a minute of searching, it still wasn’t found. It’s a good thing there’s only four of us and five seats. Zach moved the middle seat and we headed to the Dole Plantation.
Flying over one the Hawaiian Islands

The Dole Plantation had three main activities: a walking tour of different plants, a train tour, and the world’s largest maze. The line for the train tour was an hour long, so we decided to take the walking tour instead. The tour showed off many different plant with names I had no clue how to properly pronounce and presented placards periodically throughout the tour which provided information about the different plants. After the short tour, we entered the maze. The goal was to find the eight stations hidden in the maze and return to the entrance as fast as possible. I ended up being the fastest in our family, albeit I had help from the small map provided and from the other tourists I followed around. After the maze, Joe got pineapple dole whip (for some strange reason) and we headed to the Air B ’n B we’re staying at.

Plants

One of the eight stations hidden in the maze
After checking in, we walked down the road to the Rainbow Drive-In for dinner. While we were eating, Zach was the unlucky customer to receive free droppings from a bird above. Fortunately it hit his arm and not his food, though Zach looked like he was ready to declare war on the bird. After dinner, we walked a few blocks to the nearby beach. San Diego beaches pale in comparison to the shores of Hawaii. My only regret is that I didn’t have my bathing suit with me, but I guess I’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the beaches in Maui.
The beach

Tomorrow, we have several options of things to do, but I don’t which ones we’re doing. Guess I’ll find out in the morning.

For a different perspective of today’s events, you can read my mom’s blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment