Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Icy Depths of Hawaii



Yesterday was a day to relax and catch up with family. We woke up at different times and had conversations with various uncles, aunts, and cousins. I went with mom, dad, and my Uncle Mike to Costco to pick up food for the week. On the way, dad pointed out a sign for the Sugar Museum and we now have a new place to visit this week (sweet…). Maui is just as green and beautiful as Oahu, though a bit windier. We returned to the Villa to eat lunch with family. My cousin Jon and his girlfriend Kelsey found a hike to a river about 30 minutes away and a bunch of us decided to go.

The Villa

We drove the park and discovered the hike was more of a simple walk around. The views were still incredible and walking around reminded me of the movie Jurassic Park. We walked down to the river and after a little hesitation, I decided to jump in the water. It was probably the coldest water I’ve ever swam in and I was slightly concerned I may get hypothermia. After a while my body got used to the water (or maybe it just went numb, I’m not really sure) and it was fun to swim around the river. It was the only time I’ve gone swimming and come out of the water and felt warmer. We left the park and headed back to the villa for dinner.

Iao Valley State Monument

The valley


Who wouldn't want to swim in 50 degree water?

Before dinner was ready, I played badminton with my brother Zach, Kelsey, and grandma. It was harder than it looked, but eventually Zach and I started a good rally with grandma and Kelsey. Dinner was carne asada and it was delicious with good company to eat it with. Later, I played some board games with cousins and brothers. We played a game called Weasel my cousin Alex created and Loaded Questions. I love playing games with my family because we always come up with hilarious and creative answers. It was getting late so we said good night and went to bed.

For a different perspective of the day’s events, you can read my mom’s blog (maybe) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment